sobota 12. marca 2011

Bella Swan- The female role model for our generation? God help us all



If any of the Twi-Hard fans happens to stumble upon this entry, I am certain they’re ready to bite my head off. Or find where I live and stalk me through the window while I sleep. Yes, there was definitely a tongue-in-cheek insinuation that Edward’s habits may rub off on the Twilight fans.

Now, I’m not here to bash it as both the books and the movies have been tremendously successful and there’s always a reason for that. Also, as any other woman, I happen to like ogling handsome men. And if some of them decide to prance around half-naked, flexing their muscles, then who am I to argue? I even quite liked the first installment—please stop the gasps of outrage—especially due to the music and the general ‘mood’ of it.

What rubs me the wrong way is the main character, Bella. And yes, I do have arguments to support my risqué statement. As previously mentioned, if a guy stares at you while you’re sleeping, that’s not romantic or sweet. That’s just creepy, no matter how good looking the guy in question is.

I could actually even suffer through that if it weren’t for the second installment, New Moon. The longer I watched, the more frustrated I got. All I wanted to do was to slap Bella upside her head as she walked around with moody depression shadowing her every step. And if her moodiness wasn’t enough, she even tried to commit suicide. And no, it wasn’t because someone she loved died or a fire burned her home to the ground. It was because Edward left.

I’m sorry, but the only thing I can say is boo-freaking-hoo. You don’t go and do that if a man leaves, it makes you kind of a psycho. Not to mention the man in question will probably run for the hills, terrified of the extent of your obsession.

Where are female characters that aren’t defined by the man they’re lusting after? Women who are independent and strong, capable of carrying a load of problems on their shoulders without breaking down at the first sign of trouble? Is an emotionally unstable, obsessed with dying, moping around character the role model for our generation?

To say I’m disappointed would be an understatement. I’d like to see a lead female character that isn’t just there to be protected by men but can step up and kick some ass on her own, a woman that is funny, witty and can drink a man under the table with a victorious smile on her face. You may disagree, but in my not at all humble opinion, our TV/movie scene has been missing a good teenage female character for years.

Who is your favorite female character?

3 komentáre:

  1. Aaaa Patka mas blog, to je pecka!:D Super clanok a sice som nevidela druhy diel twighlitu, viem si to dievca uplne predstavit a suhlasim s tebou:) A dakujem aj za obohatenie mojej slovnej zasoby vyrazmi typu tongue-in-cheek a boo-freaking-hoo aj ked vyznamom tohto som si nie clekom ista :D A co sa tyka tvojej otazky na zvaer tak napr. z upirskych filmov/serialov mam rada sookie:) je sice dakedy naivna, ale podla mna spravna...A klobuk dole pises fakt super a ta anglictina tvoja je neskutocna! uplne ako native speaker, aj lepsie :P

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  2. yep i totally agree with you. what the hell's wrong with bella i will never be able to tell... she's the most suicidal teenager i've ever seen. even those who actually committed a suicide were less suicidal and angsty than her))
    and the best female character is buffy. don't think i need reasoning))

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť